Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Off The Meds


It has now been five weeks since my surgery.

Today is the first day I have gone without any pain medication at all, and it feels fine so far. I had really been stepping down the dosage slowly prior to that, going by whatever pain level I felt. This morning my hip hardly hurt at all, so I decided to give the day a try without medication.

At this point I can sleep on my right (operated) side for long periods during the night. It feels a bit funny, but it is not painful. I sleep through the night with no problems. I am still clocking about nine or ten hours of sleep every night.

I can move my leg around quite a bit using the muscles near the hip; they are starting to recover nicely. All the exercises I got last week from the physical therapist are going very well; they are almost too easy. Only the hip abduction exercise is still difficult.

I have not been to the gym to do the exercise bike or the weight machines for my upper body -- I'm still trying to work out a membership with the YMCA up here in Connecticut. I really hope to get to the gym soon, as I feel that my sedentary lifestyle is affecting my mood as well as my body.

I am still working on getting my new 1/3 body weight weight-bearing allowance right, but the added weight isn't adding pain in my hip. Even when I've accidentally stepped on it with full weight it has not been painful, just obviously weak.

The numb spot on the side of my thigh is still there. It feels like it might be a little less numb, but it is hard to tell.

My incision has actually regressed and is not looking as good as it was in my last photo. One of the subdermal sutures has poked out at the top of the scar, creating an open wound, so I have to wear a Band-Aid over that part. The rest of the scar looks fine, but it is just redder and more noticeable than it was when I first took the Steri-strips off. I am not sure why. I am allowed to massage the scar with Vitamin E oil now, so maybe that will help.

So basically I am at the point in my recovery where I feel totally healthy, except I am on crutches. It is a very frustrating feeling. Progress was obvious before: less pain, more movement. Now everything just feels stagnant. Before I wasn't frustrated because it was very clear that I was injured and needed to rest and heal. Now it is easy to forget that all I have in those cracks is "fuzzy white stuff" and the bone needs time to heal together into a strong, solid unit again. And so it is easy to fall into the foul mood I have been in for the past three or four days.

I am not bored: I've got plenty to do, especially where work is concerned. But I don't want to do any of it any more. I am tired of this variety of sameness. I move from book to magazine to work task to TV show, I move from bed to armchair to table to couch, but it is all the same. It is all still and slow and seated. And I am really tired of sitting.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Shelley,

    I don't see the doctor again until May 19.

    And I'm not quite done -- I've still got the left hip to PAO later this year!

    Thanks for the supportive note :)

    AKM

    ReplyDelete
  2. That numb spot is totally normal. I'm 8 weeks post-op from my THR and that numb spot is still there; size is about 1/3 what it used to be. And I have been told it may never fully go away.

    Hang in there on the frustration. These next few weeks will pass quicker than you think they will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your experience ! I´m 36 years old, mother of 4, live in Iceland and need to go to Denmark to have this done. It gave me alot to read your blog, now I have some idea of what I am about to go through. I have got very, very little information from my doctor here in Iceland, the only conversation I´ve had is through e-mail to the doctor´s secretary in Denmark !!! So all my knowledge is through my search on the internet. Nobody has told me what I need to prepare at home before I go, what to expect or how long time it will take me to recover. So you are my best guide so far :-)

    I will be looking into your blog to see how you are doing...
    Take care and good luck with your recovery.
    Halldóra Skúla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep your head up! I have been reading of your progress, and it's something to be proud of. I have my RPAO in July and hope I do as well as you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the supportive comments Shelley, Kris, Halldora and Jen!

    And I'm glad my blog can be of help to you -- good luck Jen and Halldora in your upcoming surgeries!

    ReplyDelete