Friday, September 11, 2009

LPAO Scheduling

It is now a month and a half until my second PAO, this time on my left hip. Even though my left hip has not been in pain for almost two years now (overshadowed, I suppose, by the whinier right hip) I am still going forward with the surgery as planned. In the x-ray taken pre-RPAO, it is clear that my left hip dysplasia is equally as bad as my right hip's was, so I might as well get it over with. Even if the left hip isn't hurting now, it is structurally guaranteed to start hurting eventually.

The schedule I have finalized is as follows:

September 14, 2009 -- Begin rigidly healthy pre-surgery lifestyle: sufficient sleep, healthy and iron-rich diet, no alcohol, regular exercise. The goal is to avoid getting sick, to support my body through the month of blood draws, and be the healthiest and strongest I can possibly be going in to the surgery.

September 25, 2009 -- First autologous blood donation, at the New York Blood Center, with the blood subsequently shipped up to Boston. Begin taking iron supplements; take them up until the surgery.

October 5, 2009 -- Second autologous donation, at the New York Blood Center.

October 20, 2009 -- Pre-operative appointments at Children's Hospital. During this full day in Boston I will meet with Dr. Millis, the anaesthesiology team, physical therapy and admitting. I will also have my third autologous blood donation while I am there.

November 2, 2009 -- Surgery date. Here we go again!

Again I've arranged my absence with work, planning to be completely off the grid for two weeks after the surgery: one week in the hospital in Boston and one week sleeping and healing at my parents' house in Connecticut. During the third week (week of November 16), I plan to begin working remotely from Connecticut, as I did last time.

I plan to stay in Connecticut for about two months after returning from Boston, so I can have the help and supervision I would not have if I returned alone to my apartment in the city. Last time I thought I'd be back in the office in six weeks, but I decided I didn't want to go back until I was off crutches almost entirely, and that wasn't until eight weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I hope you are well. I found your blog & was wondering if you'd want to take a look at my x-rays? I've been told so many different things could be wrong & I'm so tired of being in pain. Several people on a facebook group for PAO think I have hip dysplasia but my doctor has never mentioned it. I hope I do not need this surgery you've had. It sounds pretty rough & I have 4 children to take care of as well as 2.5 flights of stairs in my house. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete