Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Seven (and a Half) Weeks Post-Op


The healing proceeds apace. Pain is negligible, movement is good, abscess is on the mend.

I've been going to the gym several times a week (the goal being every day but sometimes it just gets away from me). I know my physical therapist told me I couldn't do more than resistance level 1 until I see the doctor again May 19, but... machines are different, right? Some go 1-10, but the one at my gym goes 1-20. So I have been squidging my way up on the resistance and am now up to 30 minutes at level 3, with no obvious ill effects. I have also been doing some upper body exercises and ab work.

Last month Erin warned me to stay on two crutches and 1/3 body weight until May 19, but it is hard to do that when I am feeling so much better and stronger. I have to admit that I sometimes put the crutches down when I am in the kitchen and just taking small steps around carrying a bowl from counter to counter or something. So technically that is the verboten full weight sans crutches. I know I shouldn't but it is so tempting, and there's no pain to tell me "no."

It turns out Erin was right about the abscess: it has been clearing up. It is still scabby but I don't wear a Band-Aid anymore. The rest of the scar is pretty much the same as it was -- like someone drew a line on me with a mauve-colored marker.

I am pleased with my range of motion, and I can feel that the muscles around my hip are getting stronger. I can lift my leg onto the couch now, or into the car, without using my hand under the knee to help it up. One thing I still can't do is put my socks on right (operated) foot, or tie my shoelaces on that foot. The angle when I bend over the right hip is too acute. I can do the left, but not the right.

Not really much else to report this week. I guess this is the long boring part of recovery.

1 comment:

  1. Be really careful about the weight-baring thing. It's not that they don't want you putting weight on it, though that is likely part of it. The larger part is your personal sense of balance and ability to move around safely.

    Be safe.

    ReplyDelete