Monday, October 27, 2008

Ready for Review

As of today all my imaging and office records from my visits with Dr. Su and the HSS Radiology lab are collected at Dr. Millis' office and ready for his review. Dr. Millis reviews potential new patients on Wednesday afternoons. So now I just have to sit around and wait for Dr. Millis' office to call me so we can begin scheduling my consult and hopefully my first surgery.

Meanwhile, my right hip is hurting a moderate amount. I stayed off it most of the weekend, but last night I played three hours of tennis. Perhaps that was a decision made with questionable judgement. Both my hips felt exhausted by the last half hour of play -- I could actually feel the exhaustion in the muscles in and around my hips, most likely because the muscles and soft tissue structures are pretty much all that hold my hips in place. The pain didn't really begin until today.

Today I can really feel the pain in the front of my right hip, where the labrum tear is. I've tried to limit my walking today and save all my hip use for tennis tonight. I probably shouldn't play, I know. But I have cancelled tennis for Wednesday so at least my hips will get a few days rest after tonight.

I honestly am not sure what I should be doing about my hip nowadays. Am I supposed to stay off it as much as possible? Or am I free to do my normal activities until surgery? I definitely don't want to cause damage that will jeopardize my surgery prospects, but I'd like to stay as active as possible if I may. I am going to start swimming for more low-impact cardio exercise, and keep up the weight training as well.

More when I hear from Dr. Millis' office later this week.

2 comments:

  1. Hi AKM
    I would be happy to add your blog too my blog. I ask that you consider doing the same with myself and the others on my blog. This way we all help to get the word out together and form a strong community. Also if you could link to the article that Sarah and I wrote on hip dysplasia (http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm) that would be so helpful for others trying to find needed info. I am here if you have any questions or want to talk.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stationary bike and elyptical machine are also pretty low impact. Once I found out about surgery I stopped walking to work and putting myself in situations where I knew I would be in pain. It just freaked me out thinking that I could be doing more damage to the cartilage that cannot be regrown. I felt like with every step I was doing damage to it. I know, crazy. As far as weights, DEFINITELY get into good shape if you are planning on a PAO. I worked with a trainer on my upper body and don't think I could have survived the walker and crutches as well as I have if it wasn't for the pre-existing "buffness". I also had a physical therapist for a month before surgery that worked on strengthening my hip muscles with me. The doctor said it should help speed along recovery.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete