Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Staying Healthy


Now, in last few weeks before surgery, the most important thing for me to do is remain healthy. I have heard too many horror stories of girls who have gotten a cold right before their surgery date and have had to have the whole thing postponed. Best to avoid that if at all possible.

DIET

Of course I am eating a healthy diet. Lots of fruit, vegetables and lean protein, very little sugar and starch. I have completely cut out alcohol. I am also focusing on iron-rich foods, to help my blood bounce back between autologous donations. So that means dark green leafy vegetables, red meat, beans, etc. A quick Google search can bring up a more comprehensive list. Liver anyone?

I am also taking iron supplements in addition to my usual multivitamin, omega 3 and calcium. There is a lot of information out there about what supplement to take (or avoid taking) with what food to increase absorption, but I just can't be bothered with taking it all in and regulating myself so much. So I'm just eating as healthily and ferrously as possible, taking the supplements, and hoping it all comes out in the wash. Or absorbs in the wash, as it were.

I have to mention that iron supplements will unpleasantly affect your digestive system. And I will leave it to you to look up why that is and what you can do to ameliorate some of the problem.

EXERCISE

Since my hip has significantly been increasing in pain over the past six months or so, I have been decreasing my activity level to compensate. I can no longer walk for long periods around the city (like to and from work) or play tennis at the frequency I used to. I can eke out a match here and there, but I will pay for it the next day (or even towards the end of the match).

For the most part, I am not usually in much pain on a daily basis, but that is because I have curtailed my activity level so much to avoid aggravating my hips. I don't take (and have never taken) painkillers when my hips begin to hurt -- not because I have anything against painkillers, but because I just figured the pain was a signal that I should stop. This kind of hip pain is not pain you can "work through" like having sore muscles that warm up and loosen up; this is pain that gets worse the more you do. So I figured if I mask the pain to allow myself to do more, I am just going to pay for it in the end (or cause so much damage that I would need painkillers to do even routine things in life). So basically my "painkiller" is to stop moving around until my hips stop hurting. Which has meant I don't move around much anymore.

So with that backdrop comes the challenge of getting myself into surgery shape without causing myself pain.

For cardio I have been doing the bikes (seated and stationary). Elliptical hurts my hip. I also swim, since I am lucky enough to have a pool in my building. I usually hate swimming laps, but since I got a swimming armband and earphones for my iPod, the boredom is gone!

For strength training I have been doing weights (both general circuit training and a specific focus on the crutching muscles: lats, pecs and triceps) and some Pilates mat exercises that focus on the muscles around the hip. I also do some of the hip muscle exercises in the pool after swimming my laps.

To be honest, I've only really gotten serious about this pre-surgery health-nuttery since last week -- most of the PAO women whose blogs I have read started much earlier. But I was already in decent shape, with good muscle tone from regular visits to the gym prior to this pre-surgery frenzy. So I'm not starting from zero. I'll just have to do my best for the remaining 2.5 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment