Monday, March 2, 2009

Two Weeks to Go

Today was my third and final autologous blood donation prior to the surgery. I was glad to see that my iron-rich diet and iron supplements had raised my hematocrit level to 13.4 for this donation. My blood pressure was low, though: 90/60. My blood pressure has been lower and lower at each blood donation. I'm not sure why, or if I should be worried about it.

In any event, today's blood donation was much better than my donation during my pre-op visit to Boston. Today I was at the New York Blood Center again and I had the same technician, Skip, as I'd had during my first autologous donation -- the guy knows what he is doing. The whole process is as quick, efficient and painless as puncturing a vein and draining a pint of blood can be, I suppose.

I have also learned my blood type as a result of these autologous donations -- I have B+, just like my mother. And my secretary, for that matter. Strange to think I have gone 29 years of my life without knowing my own blood type. Only 10% of the U.S. population has B+ so it is even better that I have three units of my own blood standing by during the surgery.

Today's autologous donation was the last preparatory appointment I had on the books prior to surgery. Now I just wait two weeks, continuing to keep as healthy as possible, and continuing with iron-rich foods and iron supplements to get my hematocrit back up in time for the surgery.

I also found out today that my insurance (Anthem Blue Cross) has authorized the surgery as "medically necessary," which is an important step in having the entire expensive procedure and inpatient costs covered. All the contact with the insurance company was handled by the hospital, so luckily I was spared much of the wrangling that some women have had with their insurance companies over this surgery. At least for the time being.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like its all systems go!
    The next two weeks will fly by then you will be over the worst and looking forward to a pain free future and advising the rest of us on what to expect.
    I wish you loads of luck, and will be thinking of you on the 16th.
    Take care
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Kate!

    ReplyDelete