Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Five Months Post-Op

At this point, my right (operated) hip is functioning at 100% for all walking-related activities. I no longer have any of the pain I described in my previous entry: no more twinges, no more aches, no more stripes down my thigh.

I can walk for long distances and durations without my right hip causing me to limit myself. Of course, I still get tired and footsore, but that is in a more general sense; I would have gotten tired anyway at some point!

I have now been seeing a trainer for about a month. My first training session was quite light and yet the soreness afterwards was wretched, mostly in my quads. I honestly had trouble walking and supporting myself with my quads for the first few days after the session, and I was in quite a bit of muscular pain. I suppose it was something I was just going to have to go through on the way to getting my quads back in gear, but I have to admit I wasn't aware that my quads were *that* weak!

Since that first session, my trainer has been stepping up the workouts in intensity and pace as my strength and endurance increase. I'd say my fitness is about 75% of what it was last year at this time, when I was playing tennis 5x per week and seeing a trainer regularly. I have some work to do, but obviously it feels good to be back on the path to fitness again.

For the time being, my trainer is being very careful with my (weak) hip flexors and with any impact exercises. So far my hip has not hurt during or after any of the training sessions. During one session my right hip flexor was definitely exhausted, but the joint itself did not hurt and the hip flexor in question was not even sore the following day.

On my own I am working on cardio on the exercise bike and to a lesser extent, introducing the elliptical machine. I am up to 45 minutes at about level 7 or 8 (out of 20) so that is still not hugely impressive on a cardiovascular level.

I am still not swimming. I know it is good for me but I just hate it and so I am still resisting it by making all sorts of excuses.

My numb spot still comes and goes but I never even notice it unless I am purposely paying attention to it.

My scar hasn't really made a ton of progress since the last time I posted a picture, and it still itches sometimes at the top, where that abscess was for a while, although the abscess has closed up and the scar is totally "healed" at this point. But scars do tend to keep that mauve look on me for a long time before they whiten up, so it is not surprising to me that it is essentially unchanged. And it doesn't matter anyway since Dr. Millis is just going to open it back up again in November to take the screws out on that side.

Speaking of November, my left hip (which is scheduled for surgery in three months, on November 2) still hasn't made a single peep of pain all summer.

6 comments:

  1. Are you having your LPAO and your R screw removal at the same time? Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, yes I'm having my right hip screws out at the same time as my LPAO. Might as well, while I'm on the table anyway!
    AKM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Akm,

    Congrats on your recovery, that's amazing! I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients). I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger. Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you! The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

    Best,
    Hua

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had right PAO on 3/4/09 at NYU with Dr Feldman and am scheduled for the left side in October (given he clears me during my Sept visit) you are having your screws out so soon? I was told I needed to wait about a year, not sure if that is because I had a delayed union following surgery. Glad to hear your recovery is going well - I think you are a bit ahead of me. I still have some pain - and weakness in hip flexors. I am doing physical therapy 3x / week but was only able to really start at 3 months due to the delayed union.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, be careful with the hip flexor! We managed to get mine extremely irritated in PT, then laid off working them for over a month waiting for them to un-irritate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annick,
    Now that I am recovering, I re-read the early piece of your blog and it gave me great insight to my own healing. Glad to see you're doing well!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete