Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Seven Weeks Post-LPAO

I went up to Boston today for my second post-LPAO appointment -- a little early, at only seven weeks post-op, but that seemed apropos given the quick pace of this hip's recovery.

In the last few weeks, I've been mixing in more and more walking, but still keeping the one crutch with me for longer excursions or (given the current weather conditions on the East Coast) inclement footing. Needless to say, Dr. Millis and the team were pleased with my progress, my range of motion, my strength and my nearly-perfect walking.

I say nearly-perfect because, as physical therapist Jaime pointed out, I need to do some specifically targeted exercises with the thera-band to get back to 100% on the left side. So I've got those movements as an assignment. Other than that, though, I can continue with my bike riding at the gym, and continue to increase my walking as it feels comfortable and as my hip muscles strengthen.

Essentially, I am now where I was at the end of May with my RPAO -- which puts my left hip recovery about a month ahead of where my right hip recovery was at this stage. So there's my Christmas present!

2 comments:

  1. Hello -

    This is Arpine, I had my RPAO with Dr. Millis Nov 30 (you are a few weeks ahead of me). I just wanted to say that I'm really glad to hear about your progress!

    Hope that you'll recover completely very soon!

    Arpine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Arpine, good luck with your recovery as well!

    ReplyDelete