Monday, January 4, 2010

Nine Weeks Post-LPAO


After my RPAO, I started my nine weeks post-op entry jubilant about finally being allowed to wean myself off crutches. Juxtapose that with today's entry, nine weeks after my LPAO and here I've been walking for three weeks already!

Well, that is a bit of an exaggeration. I only ditched the crutches totally about two weeks ago, but since then I've been walking more and more, trying to get my strength up. I went to Europe right after Christmas and although my hip tired easily, for the most part I felt pretty good through airport transfers, post-holiday sale strolls, and museum visits. I even took a 10 mile bicycle ride one ambitious morning.

I can't say my hip was pain-free -- when it got tired, it definitely got sore, but I was good about making sure I always had an "escape route:" a cafe to rest in, a subway to jump on, a cab to hail, etc. so I never got stuck anywhere having to push my hip past its limits just to get home.

Now I'm all moved back into my apartment in NYC, my office at work, my normal life. Well, almost normal. I still don't think I can make it far enough to walk to work yet. And I definitely need some time before I can play tennis again. But I'm progressing really fast and I'll get there soon enough. Who wants to walk to work in these sub-zero temperatures anyway?

4 comments:

  1. Your blog was the first one I found when I was first diagnosed with CHD and I read it all the way through. I had researched CHD and the procedure to correct. It just frightened me. And then I came across your blog. It gave me so much encouragement that I am not alone and the surgery does work. I felt really bad reading about the rash you had. BUt I must admit your recovery has been amazingly fast. And thank you for sharing your story it really helps to know that I can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that nice comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, My name is Liz O'Brien and my daughter is a sophmore, varisty athlete at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN. Over the summer we discovered that both hips have major issues. We are having surgery with Dr. Millis on Oct. 18th, 2010. Needless to day I am crying as I write this not understanding why her. She is a bowler you can see her picture and bio on the Vanderbilt Athletic website. Please if you have time reach out to me regarding how to prepare for this adventure. Thank you, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz. Your daughter is going to be fine. Dr. Millis is a fabulous doctor and she is young, healthy and athletic. There is nothing to worry about. Asking "why her" is not productive. Focus instead on learning about the surgery and how best to support her in her preparations and recovery. She'll be back at it with the sports in no time.

    ReplyDelete