Friday, March 20, 2009

Recovery Day 4 -- Exit Wounds

This morning I was up by 7:00am, which is pretty much the earliest I have woken up and stayed up since I got here. I was still furious about the back issue when I woke up, which is never a sign of rationality or an omen for a positive day. My lower back and flanks were still raw and itching terribly, damp and nubbly feeling when I scratched them; I could feel the angry rash forming. This discomfort was keeping me distracted and furious, like a six on my pain scale. I'd never intended the pain scale to apply to more than hip joint pain, I tell you that.

The nurses arrived and got me back in my CPM machine (which itself is not annoying or uncomfortable). I let them know that overnight my back had continued itching as if I'd been sitting sat naked in a poison ivy beach chair for three days. I'd tried shifting position, having sponge baths and salve creams applied but nothing seemed to ameliorate the horror. Only the IV-administered itching drugs could (temporarily) keep me from trying to claw off my own skin.

The other thing that bugs me about being so uncomfortably itchy is that I know I am moving my operated hip too much and putting it in non-optimal positions while trying desperately to talc, salve or sandblast my back and flanks. I can feel that I am causing my hip extra pain and I worry that I am delaying its healing because I am unable to focus on protecting the joint in the face of eliminating the raging discomfort on my skin.

Dr. Sankar came to see me at around 7:15am. I am just so so angry today; everything is making me furious. Before I was sad and pathetic and self-pitying, but now I'm just pretty much pissed off. Pissed off at how much I am itching and really pissed off at having to use the bed pan. I'm pretty sure I have already explained properly how f'ing pissed off I am about the bed pan.

At 8:45am the physical therapist came to help me practice getting from the bed to the recliner chair beside my bed. That was an ordeal which involved me supporting myself on the trapeze and swinging my good leg to the ground, followed by the physical therapist supporting my bad leg, following my lead to keep my bad leg in the correct alignment to the good leg all the way to the floor, so that eventually I would be sitting on the edge of the bed with both legs hanging off towards the floor. Or at least that was the idea.

What actually happened was that I swung my good leg to the ground but the the PT-held bad leg lagged behind and so was shifted from its usual angle and caused a painful bursting feeling within the joint. It honestly felt like a small water balloon had burst within my hip joint. I gasped and swore and instantly began crying hysterically. Partially because of the pain and surprise, partially because of the fear, and partially because of the (probably unwarranted amount of) hatred and blame I immediately directed towards the PT-tech who had ruined the whole maneuver (in my opinion). When I finally got settled into the chair, I refused to work further with the PT tech and refused to move from the chair until 11am. Which behavior is probably why I was appropriately sent to a children's hospital to have this surgery.

By 11 my tantrum had run its course and so I moved to a commode chair (basically a chair made of a high toilet seat with arms and legs with wheels), which could be rolled into the bathroom for me to shower in. The commode chair could also be rolled over the toilet to allow me to use the toilet like a normal person without the cursed bedpan scenario.

Taking a shower (even with the unwanted and what I considered unnecessary assistance of a nurse I did not particularly like) was quite a lovely experience. Getting back into bed from the commode chair was quite the opposite. The same logistical problem of launching a good leg onto the bed while balancing body weight on the trapeze and having a bad leg guided by a PT tech made me nervous and irritated. The PT's approach to this maneuver was not making logistical physical engineering sense to me, nor did she seem nearly strong or reliable enough to trust with lifting and guiding my injured leg in sync with my good leg. Again, I was not wrong, and she ruined it (in my opinion) because the approach she was suggesting required superhuman strength and accuracy from me and there is no way any patient could have done it. So that did make me like her any more at ALL.

So I had my horrible exit from the bed, my excellent shower and chair nap, a relatively productive 12 shuffly steps between the parallel bars and a horrible reentry to the bed. Getting into and out of bed were so scary and horrifying that it almost made everything they facilitated, including the shower, the steps, the chair, the non-bedpan urination, and the easy salving of my back, not worth the fear and panic of exiting and reentering the bed.

The whole experience made me ruthlessly dislike the physical therapist and her every appearance. Luckily the next person to arrive in my room was my friend Josh, and then Dr. Millis, who said I should be able to get out of here by Sunday noon.

And the doctor told me to drink my milk of magnesia. All everyone wants me to do here is drink milk of magnesia, drink miraplex, consider suppositories, blah blah blah. I haven't eaten a thing since Sunday night, so whatever is in my intestinal tract is not exactly a Hoover-dam type blockage. But clearly the whole team is freaking about my GI tract so I'm drinking my f'ing magnesia people, relax.

Friday night I got my second blood transfusion along with what turned out to be an accidentally overly high dose of oxycodone, so the entire experience was a end-of-Pinocchio-like a nightmare of blurring memories, alien-invasion-dreams, tubes of blood going into strange machines, stretched out time, slurred words and confusion. The back/flank rash was still horrible and itchy, and I kept waking up in what seemed like a different sci-fi dream. And I don't particularly like sci-fi.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say expect that you sound like you are having a terrible experience...I am so sorry. I was close to tears here. I will give you a tip to do what you like with: Take your non-op leg and bend so that you can place the ankle under your op side ankle. Once like that you can use your strong leg to move the operated side. It isn't easy, but at least your leg stays in a good position and doesn't get out-of-whack with someone else moving it too fast or too slow. Once I learned it things went smoother - hope it helps!
    Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - you poor thing! What a horrible experience. Here's hoping that all the bad stuff is getting out of the way now, so that your recovery once you are out of that horrible place will be smooth and according to plan.

    Kris, THR 02.23.2009

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really should not be enjoying your pain but im reading this and reliving my very own tantrums and traumas that I experienced on the same tenth floor at Childrens. (but now i can laugh) Thanks for all the humor even though you were clearly not very happy at the time :)

    ReplyDelete