Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Transitioning Hospital to Home

Saturday involved more physical therapy, now including walking with crutches, as well as in the parallel bars. All of it is still very very tiny amounts of movement -- 3 stairs here, 12 crutch-steps there. Nothing like what I'm going to have to be prepared to do when I go home. They train you "how" to do the motions but they don't work on strengthening you to handle how much your muscles are going to have to be doing by the time you are moving. It is all well and good to practice 3 stairs, but my house has 13 to get from first to second floor. But I suppose form is most important; I'll have plenty of "on the job" training as soon as I get out of here. I was not sent home with any PT "prescription" or any discussion of types of exercises I should focus on at all.

Today (Sunday) I go home around noon, after having spent seven days in the hospital (including the day of surgery). By now my pain is pretty well managed with oxycontin and oxycodone. My PT is progressive in the sense that I can now walk more steps and even handle some stairs, up and down. But the heat rash itching has not gotten any better despite the creams and powders.

Last night I managed to fall asleep on my left (non-operated) side for about an hour, but had to be rescued like a beached whale when it was time to be rolled over onto my back again. Of course when I woke up I had that same strange "where am I" feeling I always have had in the hospital, and the concern that I'd woken up in a dream (rather than FROM a dream), if you know what I mean. That has happened to me more than once while here at the hospital, like there must be some other alternate reality that I am missing just before I wake, and in that other reality I don't wake up every day in a gown on a gurney scratching my back raw. Also -- and this must be the drugs -- every time I wake up I feel like I'm in a different room. Very similar to my other hospital room, but a different room nonetheless.

The doctors came by early this morning on rounds (as usual) and I was completely out of it and falling asleep in the middle of conversations (as usual). That is so very embarrassing. Patients are never nodding off like junkies in the middle of coversations with Dr. Gregory House, for example. Unless it is important for their differential diagnoses.

I am ready to go home. I don't think this hospital bed has much more to offer me (other than the trapeze, which I will sorely miss).

All the paperwork has been done for my release; Dr. Millis himself wheeled me to the door and wished me well (I'll see him in three weeks for follow up anyway) and was very sweet about everything. Some of the nurses seemed genuinely sad to see me go, and say that they have requested me as a patient for next time (which I have to think is a lie, can you even do that?)

My mother and I got on the road about 1pm and stopped for a coffee/restroom break at McDonald's on the way. It was my first time in public on the crutches and it is just a joke how slowly I move on crutches. People must think I'm kidding -- I look healthy and strong enough, and yet I'm heaving like a cast Clydesdale and I'm moving about 6 inches a minute. I couldn't make eye-contact with anyone at the McDonalds because I have to study the ground for each step and think so hard about my muscles, so I don't know if anyone was staring or not, but this one poor kid did have to hold the door for me for like 5 minutes as I snailed my way through. Bet he regretted that one.

The drive home was about three and a half hours; my leg kept jiggling or bouncing with the car's movements, plus I missed a painkiller while I was asleep during the journey, so needless to say I was in a world of hurt and exhaustion when we pulled in the driveway. It was all I could do to make it up the back steps to the den and pass out on the couch. After a while I had mustered enough strength to make it all the way upstairs to my room to sleep again.

No comments:

Post a Comment