Monday, March 16, 2009

The Surgery Itself


My mother and I made the chilly, five minute, pre-dawn walk to the hospital. Right on time at 6:00am I made a point of bounding up the hospital stairs towards the Admitting department, ticking off my last "last" before surgery. In the Admitting area there were three other patients with their families checking in for surgery. All of them were kids, except for me, which I guess is to be expected at a children's hospital. They were, alternatively, sniffling and clutching a teddy bear, silent and affectless, and moderately cheerful. I was actually a bit jocular and excited, which seems an utterly inappropriate mood with which to approach major surgery.

By 7:00am we were all in the pre-op holding area, a room lined with curtained off alcoves, like stalls in a barn. In my "stall" I changed into my surgical "johnny" gown and met with the anaesthesia team. They reiterated everything that had been discussed about anaesthesia during the pre-op meeting in February.* In some PAO blogs I'd read that some patients had experienced problems with their epidurals where the wrong leg was numbed, or the epidural did not work at all. When I mentioned this to the anaesthesiologist, his answer seemed to be something like: "yes, that happens sometimes; it is tough to pinpoint the right spot; we are actually working blind in there because we are not going to bring in a fluoroscopy for a simple epidural, but we do these all the time so it should be fine." Oh, OK, now I feel better.

Dr. "Woody" Sankar came to sign my hip and Dr. Millis, sporting a green St. Patrick's Day bow tie, stopped by to answer last minute questions. He estimated he would be done with the surgery by 1:00pm. After the doctors left, the anaesthesiologist gave me "something to relax" through my IV -- I don't know what it was but it hit me almost instantaneously.

Quickly thereafter, at 7:45am, I was wheeled into the operating room and my mother was taken into the family waiting room. I didn't have my glasses on anymore, but through the fuzz I saw that the OR was full of a lot of people, a lot of tables and a lot of stuff on the tables, everything in the blue/steel/white color palette that looks so good with my complexion. I also remember thinking Dr. Millis' surgical cap was not at all like the caps the surgeons wear on Greys Anatomy.

My gurney was wheeled close to another bed, which had been piled with pillows or cushions of some kind, and I was told to swing my legs around so I was sitting on the side of my bed resting my shoulders, forearms and head on the cushions. "Try to make your back into a 'C' shape," the anaesthesiologist said.

Wait just a minute, I thought. This is the procedure for getting an epidural. I am not supposed to be conscious while getting an epidural. I am not supposed to remember this part. I am way too conscious for this. Meanwhile people behind me are telling me what a great spine I have and what a wonderful "C" shape I've made with it, and Dr. Millis and his strange surgical cap are right in front of my face talking about things completely unrelated to how overconscious I am during this epidural placement. Dr. Millis is holding my hand and the man behind me is saying "this is some local anaesthetic, just a small pinch," and I recoil from the not-small pinch and am told to hold still. At which point I think, oh God, this epidural thing really going to blow and I am far too conscious!!, but then it just a bit of pressure and it is done. The man behind me asks me if it tingles on the right side or the left side of my spine and I tell him it is the right side and I am conscious enough to know and be relieved that the right is the correct side for this epidural to work.

So then many hands help put me on my back on an operating table, and Dr. Millis puts this fleshy plastic face mask over my nose and mouth and I remember he was talking to me and holding my hand and I was frustrated because I wanted to answer but I couldn't because of the windy face mask. And then I was gone.

Since seeing me off by the operating room door, my mother had been waiting in the family area. At 9:30 she was told that all was going well and that my surgery had begun at 8:45. By 11:00am the doctor had begun making cuts into the bone but had not inserted any screws yet. By 12:30pm the doctor had discovered the superhuman bone density of my skeleton and was still cutting bone and was now estimating two more hours of surgery. By 3:20pm the doctor was almost finished and was closing the incision, but the nurse said he would not come out to talk to my mother until I was awake and moved into my bed in the Post-Anaesthetic Recovery Unit (PACU).

Meanwhile, I was coming to in the PACU in what should have been relatively pain-free awakening from general anaesthesia. Unfortunately, during the surgery my left arm had been placed in a position that normally would have been comfortable but in my case was not. The left arm had two IV lines, an arterial line and a blood pressure cuff on it, and was stretched out straight across a table, supported with pads and gel packs. Despite all those protections, my left elbow somehow hyperextended, causing straining or microtearing of the tendon attaching my biceps muscle to my radius.**

I can't even remember if I had any hip pain at all when I woke up because all I remember is excruciating pain in my left elbow. My cries utterly confounded the PACU staff who were (understandably) under the impression my hip was my most likely pain locus. All I recall from this period in the PACU is whimpering and moaning and leaking tears as people tried to figure out what was wrong with me. No conclusion was ever really reached, but I was given morphine anyway, which helped a little.

At 4:10pm Dr. Millis came out to the family waiting area to speak to my mother. He said the surgery had gone well, and that I was out and awake and feeling no pain in the hip, but that I was feeling pain in my elbow. He also mentioned that I had very strong bones, which was why the surgery took longer than expected. Dr. Millis showed my mother films taken during the surgery as the bone was cut, moved and after the five screws had been inserted. The doctor showed a comparison of my pre- and post-surgery hip socket angles -- my pre-surgery angle was 90 degrees and the goal for the surgery had been to increase the angle to at least 110 degrees. The post-surgery angle was actually 114 degrees, so Dr. Millis was obviously quite pleased with that outcome.

You can see the increased coverage of the femoral head ("ball" of the joint) in the image to the left. Compare my left and right hip socket coverage and it is obvious how much more of my right femoral head is in the socket compared to the left femoral head. Obviously all my new hardware is quite visible as well.

The doctor also mentioned that he had not used all of the pints I'd autologously donated prior to surgery, since most of my blood replenishment during surgery came from the cell saver system. But he would probably be using some of my donated pints to ease my recovery in the next few days.

At 5:30pm my mother came to see me in the PACU. I was already on morphine for the elbow pain, so my hysteria had lessened slightly at this point. She fed me ice chips while I kept trying to clear my throat of the breathing tube feeling. While she was there Dr. Millis and Dr. Sankar were adjusting my CPM machine, which I would use for the next few days.

At 7:00pm, twelve hours since I'd first hit a gurney, I was wheeled into my room on the 10th floor. Luckily, I had a private room with a lovely view. I didn't spend much time enjoying the view, though, as I was exhausted -- from the surgery, the sedation, the pain, the morphine, everything. I think I was asleep by 8:00pm.

* All quotes and dialogue attributed to medical staff at Childrens' Hospital are taken from the memories of my mother and my(drugged)self, and should not be considered direct quotations or perfectly correct paraphrasing.

**This is my diagnosis, not a doctor's. But I still think it is right.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - that's a long surgery. But you are now on the other side completely - by now it's 4 days post op. Hope all continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a long surgery and I am sorry to hear about the elbow pain. This surgery is exhausting and can be scary, but hang in there you'll come out on top and better than before! I'll be wishing you a smooth recovery.
    onehipofanadventure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for getting through it!!
    Sounds like a long surgery, but you are over the worst now, and hopefully will find each day a little easier from now on.
    Sorry to hear about the elbow, hope that soon improves.
    Thinking of you,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete